ZUCCHINI PASTA “ZOODLES”
Jim’s latest invention. Our garden has been sprouting zucchini like weeds, and he discovered a great way to use it in place of pasta. Close your eyes, and I bet you can’t taste the difference! Also makes for a great vegan, paleo main.
-1lb zucchini*, julienned, or “stripped” with a veggie peeler
– 1 tsp. sea salt*
– 1 clove shallot*, chopped
– 1 tsp. butter* or sub coconut oil*
– 1 tsp. thyme*, for garnish
– 1 thinly sliced roma tomato*
– 1 tsp. olive oil*
– 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar*
– coarse sea salt and pepper to taste
– With the seeds, the center may not julienne so easily – that’s ok, compost the little remnants of the slices that are too challenging to peel.
– Toss the peels in a colander with the salt and let sit for a bit to sweat some if the zucchini liquid.
– Toss again occasionally every ten minutes or so.
– While the zucchini sweats, chop the shallot and prepare the thyme and tomato garnish. Its really not as difficult or time consuming as it might seem…
– Turn on the stove, med-high. Wrap the zucchini into a ball and squeeze the excess liquid out.
– Shallot in the skillet for a couple minutes before the zucchini. Toss the zucchini regularly in the skillet so that it doesn’t cook too quickly.
– Zucchini in the med-high skillet for no more than four minutes, with regular tosses, maybe five, tops.
– Plate the zucchini, and place the tomato slices, sprinkle with fresh thyme.
75 cals / 8g carbs / 16g fat / 3g protein
*Items delivered to our door by SPUD