EASY MEDITERRANEAN CHICKEN AND RICE SKILLET
Lively flavours, moist chicken, and a cohesive no-fuss one dish dinner that’s super high in protein. Inspired by a similar recipe by Adam Reid in “Skillet Dinners 2015.” I added a side of steamed broccoli* to add additional nutrients to the plate.
Time Required: 50 minutes + marinating time
– 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped, plus 1/4 cup brine
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 2 tbsp. fresh minced oregano*
– 4 garlic cloves, minced*
– 1 tbsp grated lemon zest*
– Salt and pepper
– 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts*
– 2 cups chicken broth*
– 1 cup long-grain or basmati rice*
– 1 onion*, chopped
– 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley*
– Combine brine, 3 tbsp. oil, 1 tbsp. oregano, half of garlic, 2 tsp. lemon zest, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a freezer bag. Add chicken breasts. Allow to marinate for between 1 and 24 hours
– Pat chicken dry with paper towel. Heat 1 1/2 tsp. oil in skillet or frying pan over medium heat until just smoking. Add chicken and cook until browned, 3-5 minutes per side, transfer to plate.
– While chicken is cooking, combine 1 1/4 cups broth and rice in a large bowl, cover, and microwave until liquid is absorbed, 6-8 minutes, stirring halfway through.
– Add remaining oil and onion to the now-empty skillet and cook over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 tsp. oregano and remaining garlic and cook 30 seconds.
– Stir in rice and remaining broth, and bring to a boil.
– Return chicken and juices to skillet and cook, covered, over medium-low until chicken registers 160F and rice is tender (8-12 minutes). Transfer chicken to a cutting board and tent loosely with foil, allowing to rest.
– Off heat, stir olives and 2 tbsp. parsley into rice. Cover and let sit.
– Combine 2 tbsp. parsley, remaining oregano, and remaining lemon zest into a bowl.
– Plate rice and chicken, using final mixture as a garnish.
370 cals / 10g carbs / 8g fat / 59g protein
*Items delivered to our door by SPUD